AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Civil and Commercial Litigation, Public and Administrative Law, Environment and Local Government Law
YEAR OF ADMISSION TO THE BAR
Duncan is a barrister practising in general commercial and public law litigation. He has experience in the Court of Appeal, High Court, District Court, and in mediations. Duncan acts for a wide range of public and private sector clients.
Prior to joining chambers, Duncan worked a judge's clerk at the Court of Appeal for the Hon Justice White and the Hon Justice Kós.
Duncan accepts instructions to assist senior counsel.
- Bachelor of Laws with Honours (First Class) - University of Canterbury (2014)
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry - University of Canterbury (2014)
- 2017 - Present: Barrister sole at Stout Street Chambers
- 2015-2017 - Judge's Clerk, Court of Appeal
- Financial Services Complaints Ltd v Chief Ombudsman  NZCA 28,  2 NZLR 884: junior counsel for Chief Ombudsman in judicial review proceedings relating to the use of the name "ombudsman".
- Young v Body Corporate 85659  NZHC 849: junior counsel for the applicant in a judicial review challenge to decisions of a body corporate.
- Winitana v Attorney-General  NZHC 381: junior counsel for Tūhoe in litigation over equitable ownership in Lake Waikaremoana.
- Broadbent v Chief Executive of Ministry of Social Development  NZCA 201: junior counsel assisting the Court in a case challenging the Ministry's approach to calculation of rest home subsidy entitlements.
- Proprietors of Potikirua Block Incorporation v Te Kani  NZHC 3200 and  NZHC 668: junior counsel for plaintiff seeking to set aside a transfer of Māori land.
- Tomar v Attorney-General  NZHC 3485: junior counsel for the Attorney-General, opposing a prisoner’s claim challenging Department of Corrections' education policies.