AREAS OF EXPERTISE
Civil and Commercial Litigation, Intellectual Property, Medico-legal, Public and Administrative Law
Wendy is an experienced litigation lawyer with a practice in public law, regulatory and civil litigation. She was admitted to the Bar in 1995, and was employed in private law firms in New Zealand and England, and at the Crown Law Office, before joining the independent Bar in 2007.
Wendy represents clients before the New Zealand courts at all levels as well as in specialist tribunals and disciplinary authorities, and has regularly been appointed amicus curiae in cases before the High Court and Court of Appeal.
Wendy acts for a wide range of public and private sector clients, and her recent work has included:
• Public law advice and litigation
• Commercial litigation and arbitration
• Civil litigation, particularly including trusts and succession issues
• Medico-legal work and health sector law
• Human rights law
• Electoral law
• Land law, including disputes under the Public Works Act and Māori law issues
• Coroners' inquests
• Acting as independent investigator in employment investigations
Since 2016 Wendy has held appointment as an Assistant Commissioner of Trademarks, Patents and Designs, in which she hears and decides disputes about intellectual property rights for the Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand.
Wendy holds a Masters degree in law from Victoria University. She graduated from the University of Canterbury in 1994 with a conjoint Bachelor of Laws and a Bachelor of Arts, majoring in French language and classics.